CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dagan walks, and other fun things










Ok, so for the past week Dagan has been trying really hard to walk. Today he has made great strides (heehee) in the walking department. Over and over and over again he would stand up, hold onto something and take off. I even got a video! Of course, by the time I thought to get out the camera he was pretty tired. So, without further ado, here it is:












Here are the other things....





Today i discovered that I can sew diapers in the living room with Dagan out playing, all I have to do is put the sewing machine on a table. Yeah, DUH, I know. Sometimes I wonder how I get out of bed in the morning and function as a person. While he played I was able to sew 3 diapers for him. I messed up one. I forgot to put the elastic in the legs. How the heck does one forget elastic?? I don't know but I managed to do it. Here is the evidence.




I had it all finished and thought, that went really fast! Then, CRAP! Well, he just can't, well, crap in that one. It won't keep it in very well.




I now have 10 diapers for him. It takes about an hour from start to finish for just one. I've started cutting out and pinning together one night, the sewing the next day. Mike gave me 2 really super soft long sleeved T-shirts to use. One shirt made 2 of the next to the butt layers. The arms I used to make the soaker that gets sewed into the middle of the layer. I'm so clever! These diapers have only cost me $12.00. that's elastic and velcro. Ok, add $2.97 I just HAD to buy this flannel. Used for outer layer onely. He has 4 hockey all-star diapers. I couldn't help myself. The only bad thing about buying the cute fabric is that I have to cover it up with the vinyl pants. As seen here:

On one more note; I made laundry detergent today. I will let you all know how it works out tomorrow when I do laundry.

7 comments:

susan said...

Misti you rock!! AND my grandson is clearly a genius, I can tell by the way he walks!! He looks so proud of himself!

Whitney R said...

wow! I can't believe all the things you are making yourself. Laundry detergent? That's great! If it works you should share your secret.

I love the diapers and he is so cute. I love his meaty legs! I couldn't get the video to play, but I got the e mail so I'm going to try there.

Whitney R said...

okay I saw the video. He was trying to go so fast! Oh no.... block all the exits.

Misti said...

I think soon with all his walking, his meaty leags will be less meaty... sad. And the laundry detergent worked well on the diapers. Real clothes next!!

colleen said...

Misti, you are turning into your mom, being able to sew clothes for your children. It reminds me of Lori, when her kids request chain mail and she whips out a crocheted chain mail suit.

Mom and I watched the video of Dagan walking several times. That is so exciting. I'm glad you can share these moments with us. You should probably bring Dagan up north for a visit while you are laid off. I know I would love the visit.

Anonymous said...

Misti, how much flannel do you need for a diaper, I have a bunch of pieces that I had left over from baby quilts, I don't know if they'd be enough, but I could take what I have to your Mom's and she can give it to you the next time one of you visit.

Good for you making laundry soap, I made what is now known as Lori's Lucious Lotion (Colleen's great naming ability) It is so nice and I still have to write out the recipie and send it to Kathy's girls who all loved it at the beach trip. Maybe I'll try now.....

In a BIG bowl put one container of vasoline. Microwave it for 30 secs or so, until it melts down a bit.
Add -
1 bottle baby oil
1 bottle baby lotion
2 bottles basic lotion
2 jars vitamin E cream
microwave for 1 minute
mix with an electric beater until it is smooth and fluffy.
I spoon the lotion into gallon zip-locks and cut a hole in the corner to refill the different lotion bottles. We also save liquid soap and other pump bottles to use.
Notice that I don't put bottle size, you can vary the amounts of everything, most everything I get at a dollar store, the E cream I get at Wal-mart. Chan says that this is great for Idaho dry skin. Have some good lotiony fun!

Misti said...

Thanks Lori! I'm going to have to try the lotion. As for the flannel, It depends on what I'm going to use it for. If I want to make part of the layers of diaper, it needs to be roughly 20x20. If I fold it all up and use it as a soaker, it doesn't have to be very big, or square at all!